What does a group of people standing at Cochella under a black light have to do with healthcare?
This evening I had the privilege to join the #bioethx discussion. Tonight’s topic was all about Professional Dress and Healthcare.
The first question simply asked, “Ditch the white coat or keep it?”
In the midst of the conversation I had made a comment about taking a black light to a white lab coat. (I had done this years ago when I was working in the clinic to show how filthy lab coats were after a day)
Then medical student Jennifer Chevinksy (@jchevinsky) made the recommendation, “We should start a #hashtag and have healthcare professionals take a picture of their white lab coats under a black light and post to Twitter and Instagram.”
So, here is the ask of everyone in healthcare:
1. Use the hashtag: #BlackLightYourWhiteCoat
2. Using a blacklight, take a picture of your white lab coat
3. Upload to Twitter and Instagram using the #BlackLightYourWhiteCoat
4. Spread the word to your colleagues
5. Wash that white lab coat, or better yet, throw it out.
If you are a patient, next time you see your physician, ask them to take a picture of their white lab coat under a black light so you can post it for them;)
As always, you can feel free to contact me at: CANCERGEEK@GMAIL.COM or follow me on twitter @cancergeek